DJ / Turntablist – Radio and TV Presenter / Race Car, Drifting and Stunt Driver / Youth Development and Entertainment Concept Development / Music Production
Grand Master READY D is without a doubt SA’s number one DJ.
He won the SA DMC Championship four times and also won the Western Cape Regional Champs and DJ OF THE DECADE awards.
Various publications rated him amongst the top thirty Hip Hop DJ’s in the world.
Perhaps better known as the DJ for (POC) Prophets of the City, He toured Europe extensively with POC and BVK for a period of 12 years – performing alongside groups like Public Enemy, Fugees, Ice T, Spearhead, James Brown, Rob Swift, Steve D, Will Smith, Black Eyed Peas, DJ Spinna, Jazzy Jeff, Slipnot, Cypress Hill, Eve, Akon, Grand Master Flash, etc
If not behind the Decks – he is producing music for various Artist and TV shows.
He enjoys superstar status with a cult following all over the Africa: Definitely the most exciting DJ in SA to see perform live.
Apart from performing in clubs,
GRAND MASTER READY D took the art of his brand of DJ’ing into many areas where it was unknown- eg: Big music events around SA such as the ICE FESTIVAL, SYNERGY, ROCKING THE DAISIES, OPPIKOPPI and the KKNK FESTIVAL- (week long tour into rural and underprivileged areas where most of the community do not have electricity) WOODSTOCK FESTIVAL,RAND SHOW, ALEX GROLL INTERNATIONAL INLINE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS, REDBULL DOWNHILL EXTREME CHAMPS, GRAHAMSTOWN JAZZ FESTIVAL, NORTH SEA JAZZ FESTIVAL and various trade shows.
Time Line of Highlight Performances.
- Red Bull’s Amaphiko release a short film featuring Grand Master Ready D. This is a part of a series that focus on social entrepreneurs and how they influence positive change in their communities.
- DJ Ready D features in the main arena at the Clarkson Hammond and May Live show for six performances.
- Skateboarders battle for their spots at the Kimberley Diamond Cup with Grandmaster Ready D providing the beats for them to ride to at the Dome in Gauteng.
- POC – regroups for rare performances at the Cape Town Jazz Festival and All Elements.
- DJ Ready D is selected as a Clubmans race car driver.
- He received and Honorary and Life Time Achievement award at the South African Hip Hop Awards ceremony
- Played at International Rugby 7’s Cape Town Stadium.
2013 – 2014
- DJ Ready D – continue with his national and international gigs including school tours with Good Hope FM.
- Nicky Greenwall, through her Screen time TV Show do a feature covering DJ Ready D’s Life Story.
- D launches G-CAP – a youth development programme. This initiative is filmed as part of Red Bull international’s Social Entrepreneur movie series.
- D teams up with Cape Town’s Metro Police – working with youth at risk.
- Hollywood pick up a DJ Ready D song titled Opgesaal to be a part of a scene in the film – City Of Violence (Zulu) – starring Forrest Whitaker and Orlando Bloom.
- D and DJ partners – The BeatBangaz launch their Scratch Lab DJ Training Academy.
- D – Launch his second solo produced album titled – Big Air Society and gets national distribution on the cover of Hype Magazine.
- DJ Ready D gets involved with Cape Town Mayor – Patricia De Lille’s anti drug campaign by producing her radio advertisement, He manages to get the mayor to do a rap in the commercial. Weeks later DJ Ready D and Mayor Patricia De Lille perform a stage version of the advertisement theme song to a packed house.
- D share deck duties with the Iconic DJ/ Hip Hop Pioneer – Grand Master Flash.
- The Loerie Awards choose DJ Ready D to be their main DJ for 2008 – 2015.
- D is chosen as one of the Judges for Red Bull’s Three-Style DJ Battle.
- Rugby 7’s select D to be one of their headline DJ’s for 2012.
- Cape Town City’s Turning on of the lights ceremony attracts 110 000 people to The Grand Parade to witness Table Mountain being inaugurated as one of the natural Wonders of the World -DJ Ready D is the DJ keeping the masses entertained. Alongside Drift Squad, he and Good Hope FM roll out Rev Life -breaking all attendance records at Killarney International Race Track.
- DJ Ready D continues with his National events and Club Tours.
- Red Bull use D as a headline DJ for their Sound Clash event.
- The Loerie Awards choose DJ Ready D to be their main DJ.
- Rugby 7’s select D to be one of their headline DJ’s
- DJ Ready D performs his deck wrecking session at the Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer show at the Grand West Arena.
- The Grand Parade welcome’s 90 000 people to witness the festive lights go on with DJ Ready D behind the decks.
- D gets his own radio spot – The Ready D Show on Cape Town City’s Major Radio Station Good Hope FM – Monday to Thursday 21h00pm – 23h00pm. D – Launch The Ridez and Vibez Park – off linked to his radio show and attract 8000 people – making this one of the biggest gatherings for an outside broadcast. Mzanzi Rides take D and his crew to California & Las Vegas with DJ Ready D showcasing his skills at the world-renowned SEMA and Los Angeles motor shows.
- D is awarded with the Grandmaster award by Hype Magazine – it’s the highest honour an artist can receive in Hip Hop.
- The Grand Parade Fan Park get’s rocked by DJ Ready D with close to 80 000 in attendance.
- D and Dr1ft Squad launch Dr1ft Nights (Nightsliderz) and Dr1ft X – a new technical competition in the world of Drifting and Urban lifestyle entertainment.
D and Dr1ft Squad host Wheelz of Fury – A prolific urban life style and motoring festival featuring world stunt motorbike champ Christian Pfeiffer, SA trial bike champ Brian Kapper, and South Africa’s best spinners DJ’s and Hip hop Dancers.
Ready D receive the Hype Magazine Life Time Achievement Award. Support DJ for Akon, Fat Joe and Black Violin in Cape Town and Dubai. Perform alongside Sean Kingston. Mzanzi Rides Season 3. Ready D help propel Drift Squad to center stage.
- BC 1 – Redbull B Boy Champs, Redbull Streetstyle School and Campus tour – Year 3,Presenter of his second TV show – Decktales with DJ Ready D that goes across Africa.
- The show takes him to New York to perform and interview Hip Hop Legends such as – Rob Swift, Steve D, Charlie Ahern, Roxanne Shante, DJ Rockin Rob and Ken Swift.
Presenter and creative director for TV show Mzanzi Rides that goes out across Africa, Red Bull Streetstyle School and Campus tour – Year 2
2004 – 2005
- Release his first solo album (Not for the faint hearted). Sets up Full Contact Records and Contact inclusive.
- D consults and become guest editor, contributor to South Africa’s 1st mainstream Hip Hop Magazine – Hype Mag Red Bull Streetstyle School and Campus tour kicks off – Year 1 – D Tour North and East Africa with TV Show Urban Massive.
2002 – 2004
READY D becomes the resident DJ on THE PHAT JOE SHOW, a weekly T.V. Show on S.A.B.C. 1. – DJ’s for Will Smith in Mozambique
2000 – 2001
READY D helps to establish & organize a monthly HIP HOP event called THE NIGHT OF THE BEATBANGAZ that gives up & coming unknown DJ’S & Hip Hop Artists a platform to expose & express themselves. Workshops, Tours & life in S. Africa continue.
1996 – 1999
P.O.C. Are invited to be part of an event called RIGHT TO HOPE which deals with issues relating to trouble spots around the world & this is a coalition between NORTHERN IRELAND, S. AFRICA, THE MIDDLE EAST, RUWANDA & U.S.A.
P.O.C. Officially banned in South Africa & the group records in LONDON & tours all over U.K., WESTERN EUROPE, SCANDANAVIA, IRELAND & SCOTLAND. – Performances included facilitating workshops on HIP HOP culture & life in South Africa.
1993 – 1994
- VOTER EDUCATION TOUR – Informing people all over SOUTH AFRICA on how & why they should vote in our first democratic election.
- D and POC perform at Nelson Mandela’s Inauguration at the Union Buildings.
SOUTH AFRICAN TOUR- Performances in prisons, schools, universities, primary and high schools, clubs & community centers – Touching on issues such as gang violence, drugs & aids.
DRUG AWARENESS School tour with POC, reaching 450 000 students and Grand Master Ready D win his second DMC SA Champion title.